Tuesday, June 22, 2010

New stuff

Ok, ok. I'm failing. But it's ok because I'm the only one who still looks at this blog! So, it's all good. :) Anyway, onward...

First, Katie's summer vacation started a week and a half ago and I have to practically drag the kids out of the house. Unless I'm taking them to the Y to swim or to the playground (and the latter is questionable on compliance), you'd think I was torturing them!
But first, Gram-mam came for a long weekend visit at the end of May for my birthday. Right before she arrived, Katie's caterpillars all began their transformations into Painted Lady butterflies and we were hoping that she's arrive in time to see them emerge from their chrysallids. Alas, she did not make it but she was here in time for us to release them. Both kids really enjoyed watching the metamorphoses happen right in front of them and I'm thinking about getting them some more caterpillars. We got these from Insect Lore and all five hatched so I would most likely go with them again.

For my birthday, I was sick as a dog but Mike still took me to a bed and breakfast which I enjoyed thoroughly. We went to dinner at a little local restaurant and it was really good. The pie was fantastic! But that's me...focusing on desserts! After dinner, we went for a walk along the river and talked about our memories and the things we'd like for our future. When we arrived back, I took a hugely long soak in the jacuzzi tub and have never before enjoyed a bath but that night it was divine!
The next day we hung out with all of our friends at a local campground and we let the kids "swim" in the creek. By swim, I mean we let them splash around while Katie freaked out every time her flip flop came off and started to float away. Rick was her hero twice for rescuing the errant flip flop!

The next item on the agenda was Katie's field trip to the Children's Museum and then the Como Zoo. We had a wonderful time exploring the different exhibits. The first one (in which I was not feeling well from the extremely bouncy bus ride) was the motion exhibit. There were machines and balance beams and all sort of hands on things for the kids to explore. Then we went to the water room where the kids played with boats, constructs that showed them how water can move things around, and the bubbles. Katie barely made it past the bubbles! Next was the "Our Community" room where they have a restaurant, a house, a museum, a doctor's office, a post office, and a TV studio. Katie played as a mail carrier and as a rock star (see the video). After that, we went to pet the turtles and then out onto the roof to see the exhibit there. After that, they pulled out pogo sticks and hula hoops for the kids to use. Then it was off to the zoo!
Como Zoo is a free zoo that runs solely off of donations from the community. It is an amazing zoo with three polar bears, buffalo, lions, tigers, giraffes, ostrich, wolves, and many many other animals. We always enjoy ourselves very much when we visit this zoo and the MN Zoo, to which we have a membership.
Overall it was a very enjoyable day. It was quite warm but we had a good time and I got to spend time with my favorite little girl.
I do have more but I'm feeling a little sick and I've been working on this for about an hour so I'll post again in (hopefully) a day or two.

No comments: