I was in the midst of typing an email to the McCall's pattern company to inform them of a mistake in their pattern when the lightbulb went on for me. Let's rewind a bit.
Today I took the kids to Jo-Ann's after perusing a few stores in search of a clown costume. Apparently, clowns aren't fun to dress up as. Or they are SO popular that all the stores have sold completely and totally out of clown outfits and accessories. So I figured I would just make her the costume. I had it pictured in my head what I needed. It shouldn't be too hard. And indeed the pattern I found wasn't. With two fighting kids, one with a major attitude and another one using the cart as a jungle gym, a 10 minute wait to have fabric cut, and a general lack of employees in the store to ask for assistance, I found a pattern, looked at the enveloped, located the view I wanted to make, found the fabric requirements, and...let me pause. On the front of the envelope, the view I want to make is constructed with the left side made of fabric A and the right side uses fabric B. But the back tells you to only buy one fabric. I just figured I should buy half the requirements of each fabric. If you know how to sew, you've already picked up on what I did wrong. So, back in the store, I take my two beautiful and angelic children who are currently acting slightly like zoo animals and I select the fabrics. Fast forward to tonight.
I washed and ironed the fabric and then cut out the necessary pieces. When I laid them all out and got ready to cut the fabric, I noticed that I'm a good 4" short of fabric. After laying the pieces in all the directions I could think of in an attempt to make this work, it hit me. I need the length of the fabric that is called for and in cutting the length in half, I now do not have a piece of fabric long enough to lay out all my pieces. Instead, I have two pieces that are too short. So now I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to either piece together the long pieces to make what I want, lengthen the legs by cutting out and piecing the bottom of the jumper, or by just using the pattern for the view that only comes to her knees. It looks like it's supposed to be pretty cold for trick or treating so I'm not sure if the last option is a viable option. Yes, she will wear leggings underneath but leggings aren't very warm. Too bad I can't just whip up some little legwarmers for her.
Grrr. I'm a bit frustrated at my own stupidity. But I can at least beg a little understanding in that I had two monkeys with me today and they distracted me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment