Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Oh, sigh

Well, I found out what is causing the blight on all the plants we've put in. First, the strawberries. So on Thursday, I think, I told Katie that we could go out and pick the strawberries tomorrow and that there were a lot of them up there. There were about 8-10 strawberries to pick. The next day we went out to pick them and at least half of them were squished. It looked so weird. There were holes right through the centers of the strawberries. I knew it wasn't a squirrel or chipmunk because they wouldn't eat a hole through the berry and move on. I thought maybe birds. Well, a couple days later we went to check the plant again and Jack came out to 'help'. Well, he grabbed a berry and squished a hole right through the center of the berry! Well, that mystery is solved.

Then today I went out to check the garden and I saw that we're finally getting some green beans and we also had a lima bean plant! Rock on! I went out later and found about half the plants were eaten all the way to the ground. What the...?!?!?! I was in the house getting the aluminum pie plates ready to hang thinking that maybe we had some especially bold rabbits or a couple of neighbor chipmunks were coming back when I hear Katie yelling at Spaz (the neighbor's cat) to get out of the garden and to stop eating stuff. Why? Why do those particular neighbors have to be such a pain??? He smokes pot in the garage, he deals drugs, they walk their dogs on other people's lawns so they'll poop there and not in their yards, their cat is left out to do its business so they don't have to take care of the litter box, the dogs are left in the yard for as many as 15 or 16 hours a day... Last year that same cat killed the baby birds in our yard but it left the garden alone last year. And now I have no way to tell them to keep their stupid cat out of our yard. Oh, they're going to love us when we cut down their shade tree and we do have to do that. The roots are starting to damage our house. Good stuff.

Ok. I'm done complaining.

No comments: