Friday, September 11, 2009

First day of school plus some home learning



Yesterday was Katie's first official day of school. Oh my gosh. I thought it wouldn't be any big thing but it was bigger than I was prepared for. I was fine until the kid got out of the car and started walking away without so much as a backwards glance for me. Forget a hug, kiss, or a "bye Mom". She didn't even glance my way!!! I had to make her come back for a kiss. Twerp. Notice the jacket? It was 63 when I dropped her off. She was wearing it when I picked her up but the temp rose to 82! She didn't want to take the thing off.

She says she had a good day and that she likes it. She said that there are a lot of kids in her class from her preschool so she has friends. There is also a local boy whose mother used to babysit for me during my weekly appointment so she has someone in her class that she knows. I wasn't worried about that, though. She's super social and I have a feeling that she'll make friends no problems. I was more concerned that I, personally, had messed up her lunch thing and she wouldn't have anything to eat until Gayle told me that they'll feed them something.

We've been working on some supplemental learning stuff here at home. Even though this is only the second day of working on it, I have good feelings about it. With just over two days worth of effort, she's sight reading a handful of words and she's also sounding out words on her own. 'Sh' and 'Th' and 'ch' confuse her but she's doing amazingly well. I'm proud. Jack sits down with her while she's having school time and he's amazing me too. If she's practicing writing letters, he sits and reads the letters off the page or identifies the objects in the pictures. It's pretty amazing stuff. I am so proud.

With that, I'm going to end the post for now. I have to get ready for work. I'm a little concerned because there is a lot of change and upheaval going on at work and I'm trepidatious because the changes aren't good so I'm worried. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the post and I'll try and keep you up to date on how she's doing.

P.s. Ok. That was weird. Just as I was about to post this, I got a call from work about a time off request for next weekend that was ignored. The store manager was going to work it because he messed it up!! Weird... Very very cool but a little weird! I'm grateful, however. Ok, really. I'm off to get ready for my shift. Have a good day and a restful weekend.

No comments: