Monday, September 14, 2009

RIP Patrick Swayze

If you grew up in the 80's and you're female, you had to have seen "Dirty Dancing" at least once in your life. And most of us thought that Patrick Swayze was really hot in that movie. Yes, I thought so too but I really did love the dancing in that movie. I loved the choreography. I loved watching them practice for the hotel show. I loved "Baby" dancing on the bridge trying to remember her steps. I loved the ending scene where they dance on the stage for the final show. I love that movie. And today Patrick Swayze passed away after a two year battle with cancer. This really saddens me.

There's nothing like seeing all these actors you've grown up watching on TV and in movies passing on. It reminds us of our own mortality and the things that we have yet to accomplish in our lives. This was brought to mind more poignantly when my father passed away but with every celebrity, I am gently reminded that we need to live each day. We need to remember to tell those that we love that we do love them. Spend time reading with your kids instead of playing on the computer. I've found myself working harder at being more patient with my kids and taking the time to do things with them. We're baking more cookies and reading more books and doing more alphabet worksheets than before. And I'm hoping that my kids will remember me for those things when my time comes.

I wanted to tell you about the fabric that I was preparing for my retreat at the end of the month. I wanted to tell you about the crabby little boy who doesn't want to be in bed right now. I wanted to tell you about the little girl who is trying to squeeze every last second of television watching out of her day that she can. But instead, I'm going to go sit with her and watch a few minutes of her cartoons (because they're important to her) and then I'll read her some stories.

Have a good night. Rest in peace, Mr. Swayze. You may be gone but we won't forget you.

No comments: