Sunday, May 24, 2009

Bad things come in...scores?

What a week. Oh my.

First, on Thursday night, I went through all of my pictures looking for pics from high school to post on Facebook. All the kids here just went to prom and I got to looking back and I wanted to see some pictures. So I spent an hour and a half on the floor of the bedroom closet looking through my pictures. I brought them out and took photos of the photos since I don't have a scanner and I got them put up on Thursday. I was enjoying the comments on Friday when I figured I'd better put the original pictures back so I didn't forget. Well, I stepped into the closet and knelt down and realized that my knee was wet. So I started feeling around and under my bin of pictures was wet too. So I started pulling things out and I realized that the pile of blankets we had in there was sopping wet, the cardboard boxes were all wet, and some of the clothes that were touching the floor were also wet, including Mike's one and only suit. I started to panic. I called Mike to tell him the situation when a knock came on the front door. There were two Jehovah's Witnesses there to save my soul and I'm looking like I just sucked on a live light socket. Well, I was reluctant to let them in the house but the guy said he was a building manager and blah blah blah. Long story shortened a little...they said they thought we had a bad wax seal in the toilet so I ran up and turned the water right off. The next day, Mike cleaned up the kitchen, ran the dishwasher, and cleaned the bathroom while I took Katie to gymnastics. When I came back, the water was now out of the closet and into the bedroom carpeting. So the new theory is that the dishwasher and the pressure caused by the draining dishwasher is what is making the mess. Well, now I think we have a hole in the drain pipe(s) leading away from the kitchen upstairs. The water is now spread into the family room downstairs and farther into the bedroom. There is also evidence of water along the wall in the bathroom. Poor Dave got to see my crying in my panic on Friday and I'm so frustrated and upset right now. If this turns into a mold problem, that isn't something that can sit. Katie is allergic to mold and it will set off an asthma incident. Fun.

Then I got a call from one of my doctor's to tell me that my insurance claim was denied and they have been for the past month or so. This problem is no biggie since it seemingly was easy to solve with one quick phone call (oh, I was prepared for a battle). Apparently the insurance company sent me a letter that I didn't respond to (and don't even remember getting) and because I didn't tell them whether I had other insurance, they stopped the benefits.

Lastly, and probably leastly, our neighbors have a chipmunk nest under their sidewalk and one of the chipmunks ate Katie's first strawberry. I had told her that after school on Friday, I'd let her pick and eat the strawberry but before I could go and pick her up, the chippie got it. She threatened said chippie with running him over with a car. I think she really is upset that it ate her strawberry!

Ok. I have to go. We need to call the contractor and we need to go to the grocery store. Now we can't use our kitchen for two full days. Happy friggin' birthday to me.

No comments: