Jack is currently laying on the couch behind me and telling me "No no no no...YOU'RE a brat" after I tell him the same thing. Quite adorable. He's gaining words daily and it's crazy to witness.
We were just out digging up the garden. We're having some decent wind today and we're supposed to have a lot of wind on Wednesday. The temps are really nice, though so I'm loving it. I'm thinking that I need to start laying in the sun a little. I don't want to get "Aunt Ellie tan" but I would like to have a little color when we get to Vegas...IN ONE MONTH!!
But, back to the garden. I'll digress in a moment. When does finding a worm lose it's novelty for a five year old?? My garden plot is approximately 8'x8'...not very big. But it is a decent chunk of land and enough to get us some fresh veggies. Anyway, I've started turning it over and if it doesn't rain, I'm going to get some compost in there and a little peat moss for the drainage. Well, with every shovelful of earth I dug up, you can only imagine the number of worms we found. We had worms out the wazoo! Ok, not really since that would warrant a very fast trip to the doctor's office! But with each and every single worm, Katie squealed with delight and asked if she could hold the worm. EVERY ONE! I just spent 45 minutes non-stop telling her that worms are not baby friggin' chicks!! They aren't cute and cuddly! And if she kept holding them in the hot sun, she'd have baked worms. Seriously? They're that cool? Sheesh.
Anyway, I finally have everything ready for the garden. I have all the seeds and plants. I'm going to put some watermelons in a planter on the deck and the strawberry plants I have will also go in containers. I'm thinking of putting the cucumbers in a planter, too. They take over the garden if I let them. Speaking of which...I wonder if I could get a huge container for a zucchini plant... I was sorry I had to kill mine last year. It grew TOO well and was crowding and killing everything else. Remember, just a small plot here. So here's what I have: tomatoes (cherry and regular), green beans, peas, carrots, onions, lima beans, strawberries, cukes, and a watermelon plant. I also got some nice flowers for the planters and along the fence. Whoever would have imagined I'd like to garden???
Well, I guess Vegas will have to wait. I'll tell you about that shortly.
Ok people. I'm starving. Digging up a million earth worms is tiring and hungry work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment