Saturday, November 8, 2008

OMG!!

I'm a bully! I'm a big, horrible, mean bully! I was working today and a gentleman came in wearing a hat with a flag motif and I told him that I really liked it. He made a comment about how too many people don't nowadays and I told him that my family wasn't among those people. I told him that we fly our flag and I told him about Dave. Then we talked about the people in San Diego who need to be punched out because of their disrespect and how people don't know what it takes to keep our country how and what it is. He mentioned that when he got out he re-enlisted right away and I said "Wait, you served?" and he said yes. I then said something along the lines of "Thank you for your service. It really is appreciated so thank you. That may not convey much but it really is appreciated". That man put his head down and sniffed...sniffed I tell you!...and when he looked up his eyes were totally full of tears!!! I felt like such a jerk!! I didn't mean to make him cry! Holy cow! So I tried to crack a couple of jokes and he laughed pretty hard and when he walked away, I happened to look up to see him wiping his eyes. *sniff sniff*

2 comments:

Cathy Wright Dowd said...

Why would you think that you are a bully. You just really touched his heart. He probably doesn't hear that enought and was truly taken back by your support and expression of kindness. Thank you soliders!

Hannan Family said...

Making the old guys cry. nice. And it is the wrong San, you mean San Fran. Still poor old guy that is going to stick with him forever.